Monday, May 18, 2009

My kids hearts..

"Sometimes my father doesn't even look at me. It makes me feel like I let them down.  I feel like they've pictured a different son..."

"My stepmom who was sticking up for me got shoved into the wall.  Then choked.  I tried to stop him, I tried.  I hit him again and again begging him to stop!  My older sister who is always so strong was crying and yellling, "Daddy, stop!"  It still hurts me to think about that night.  After that night I vowed to never ever let someone mistreat me."

"I remember she was really mad at my mom, accusing her of being the worst mother.  it has been around one weeks since we put my step grandfather in jail for tying to rape me so of course she got mad and threatened my of taking me away from her because my mom was the bad one in her eyes...I have been living in fear for 5 years.."

"being gay is not a choice...it is just part of you."

"no one hears the tears that pour down my face, no one feels the pain you put me through"

These are some direct quotes from kids memoir's projects.  I have not put some of the worse ones on here (and by worse, I just mean heart-wrenching).  however, i did want to put a glimpse.  sometimes i feel super ill-equip.  Who am I to pour into these kids lives?  half of my kids when reading their memoirs started bawling.  Now, where it is awesome that they feel they are safe within the confines of my classroom, i just want to scoop 'em up and tell them it is alright.  But is it alright?  some of them have posed questions to me at the end of their memoirs, asking me questions about the Lord.  If there is a God how could he let this, this and this happen.  That is when it gets hard.  How do I convey to them what I know so fiercely in my heart?  I have never been good at this part..I am good at loving on people, conveying the word has not always been my strong suite.  All I know to do is to love on them and convey any truth that I know, and study and ask questions and know the Lord will give me the words He wants me to have.  This is just rips my heart out.  I know the Lord is good though, regardless of our situations.  I feel a little hypocritical saying this since I have never had such things in my life.  I have had a family who has been nothing but loving to me, I have had people constantly around me loving on me and encouraging me and have never had the odds against me like some of these kids have.

i put these on here to ask you to pray for these kids.  pray that the lord is with their hearts and is working on their hearts.  pray for me as i am with them for the last few weeks of the school year.  pray for my patience and strength as i encourage them and read these projects.  (may sound silly, but some of these are had to get through).  Love you guys much..promise to have a more "sunshiny" post in the next few times.

Love you,

Ashie

No comments: