Sunday, December 27, 2009

The truth is...

I have been faced with something in the past few years that I believe the Lord is continually using to show me how CONTROL He is in every situtation, and very NOT in control I am. The name of this game is (drum roll please...) dating.

Yes, I said it, dating.

Let's be real honest. I don't know many people who enjoy the game of dating. And that is what it very much is...a game. Meet the players, Ashley and said boy. Said boy takes Ashley on a date. If it is good it continues on in such a manner and eventually you call each other boyfriend/girlfriend. There is one thing that is not really a game...or shouldn't be anyways, and that is getting vulnerable. Taking your gaurd down. I don't feel like you really get prepared for such things. And one big thing that I am realizing is one, you cannot base your relationships on other people's. You can learn a lot from others, but when it comes down to it, you are the only one that knows how to be you...and what you want. This has taken me YEARS to figure out. And one would say that I have not mastered this thinking quite yet. But what is dropping your gaurd? The thing about dating is you have to really take the time to get to know someone. In a way its about being selfless, because it is a giving of your time. Sure, you are suppossed to have fun, so it shouldn't be hard, but then again, there are emotional parts of letting your gaurd down. What if that person rejects you? What if they don't like who you are or what you are about? What I am learning is this is all risks we have to take if we want to someone to know us. Really know us. It won't come in a month, maybe not even in a year, but one thing I am learning is that the Lord calls us to be real. Where I do not need to empty out all my junk in front of the said boy on date one, eventually I will have to get real with that person. I will have to hope that no matter what I have done, or where I have been that that person will see my heart. That they will respect that, and want to know me on a deeper level because of the person I have become through those struggles and mess-ups. Who knows who I will end up with, but it is refreshing to me that the Lord is showing me all these things. This may be old news to some of you. You may be one that already has it figured out...but for me I am still learning on this front and how gracious and loving is our God that he has been patient with me through so many different trials and struggles that He is still loving enough to show me where I fall short and how I can fall into his arms. Grace is always waiting and I praise Him for that.

Let the dating saga begin.
:)

No comments: