Thursday, March 19, 2009

What I have learned from other Teachers/Teaching...

The following things I have learned from other teachers that I work with:

1.  I will get Varicose veins.  It is only a matter of time according to the other teachers that I work with.  They said as a teacher you stand all the time, thus you are "screwed."  And I am directly quoting...ha.  
2.  My feet will be bad by the time I am 40.  Again with the standing thing.
ALSO- do not wear 4 inch heels to school.  I wore really cute 4 inch heels the first day of school...all the teachers made fun of me.  I was hurting badly by the end of the day.  I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.  
3.  I need to have 20 minutes of alone time after I get off work everyday, or I will bite someone's head off.  (I love my job...but the other teachers are right.  After dealing with a 160 sophomores that feel like they know everything, sometimes it is good to get a little "alone" time).
4.  I must meet a man that loves my fellow teachers--or they will chase him away.
5.  I must find a man that listens to my teaching stories, and loves what I am doing with the kids as much as I love my kids.  OR at least sees my passion for these kids and respects and encourages me in that...
6.  NEVER wear holiday sweaters.  (I have implemented this one myself...)
7.  You will begin to talk like a teacher to everyone...this has come into play in my life.  I saw it more during Christmas.  I was talking to my brother as if he was my student (not really realizing that...) and that did not go over so well. ;)
8.  Color-coding helps everything.  
9.  It is important to continue to challenge yourself.
10.  Don't act like you know it all.  I received the advice that it was important to act like you know everything even when you don't.  I DO NOT do that.  I think that is dumb.  If you want to be real with the kids and want the kids to respect you, I think it is better to be real with them.  They appreciate it.  I have even had kids say thank you for responding, "I don't know" to something instead of just acting like I know what they are talking about :)
12.  You (as in me) want to try new styles that the kids are implementing (at least some of them...) and look as cute as they do.  Then you realize you are 23, and you can't fit into things like they can.
13.  You will constantly feel you are younger than you are because they kids "keep you young".
14.  You also gain maturity due to the fact that you have about 175 kids relying on you.  At times I feel like I have 160 kids...no joke.  
15.  Sometimes the only example of a true role model is what the kids will see when they come to school.  Thus, act like one.
16.  If you just love on the kids, you will have GREAT results.
17.  People are VERY, V-E-R-Y passionate about THEIR parking spots! 
18.  You learn new lingo.  For instance-
If someone says, "Miss. Kep your rap about vocabulary was lame!"  then you just got ROASTED.
I get roasted on a constant basis:)

That is all for now... I just thought I would share this information with the blogging world.  So, just for future reference you will get Varicose veins if you teach....BEWARE 

Yours Truly,
Miss. Kep ;)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

hahahaha love it! I wish i was a fly on the wall in your classroom! :)

jordanandrachel said...

I loved reading this b/c there are so many things that are SO true!! That's why I have a stool in my room and I try to at least 'lean' on it, or maybe sit every now and then, even if its just for a minute to give my legs a break!
I too, get roasted all the time=)
And I totally agree about the 4 inch heels thing. There is a teacher at our school that literally wears them EVERY day-and I don't know what in the world is goin on with that, b/c I don't know how she does it??!
And to respond to #7, when you're married you find yourself talking to your husband like he's a student-so beware!=) haha, he always tells me to 'stop talking to him like a student' its pretty funny though.
I enjoyed the blog!