Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Married Life...

As I sit here, on a break from my mini-term, I am in a contemplative state. Why is it that women long to married so bad? Why is that we think that it will magically save us from all the problems we have had before? Maybe none of you know what I am talking about, but some of us do know what I am talking about. Shoot, I have definitely faced that.

Is the reason that we are so enthralled with the idea of being married because we have seen the Amazing Prince's in the old Disney Movies rescue the princess and they live happily ever after? Why is it that we always try to find someone to blame (for instance, Mr. Disney himself) for what we do not understand, choose not to come to grips with, or something that we do not have. I am in the middle of about three books right now, and this question sure does come up a lot, and with my present situation I think about this a lot. The book "Boy Meets Girl" is about courtship, and conducting oneself in a manner that is glorifying to God. (This is an amazing book by the way.) And it is great to read, but yesterday I just got in this state of perpetual sadness. I mean I was down... and constantly throughout the day the Lord was like "Ashley, TRUST ME!!". Continually, however, I would get back into the pit of my despair! How sad is that... I mean the Lord is CONTINUALLY good, and I know he has a plan, yet I continue to wallow in, well I am not even sure what you would call my state of mind.

Yesterday, during a lunch break from my Mini, I went to my favorite spot, the local Starbucks, and spent time with the Lord. God is good because I was having a hard time, and in walks one of my best friends Lesile! Lesile is by far one of the most wise women I have met. She always has a word of encouragement, and is just an encouragement in the Lord!! I really believe that the Lord brought her to Starbucks to encourage me! (And of coarse to get some great coffee :)) We spoke about what a girls heart wants, and how easy it is to get entangled in the wants and desires of the world. (I know this may sound very preachy, but it is so true.) Especially if you go to the school that I do. If you are not married by the age of 21 at my school, consider yourself a spinster. (Which, in all reality, is very far from the truth.) Lesile gave me the piece of advice to make all my requests known to God, and get to a point of constant reliance on the Lord. Even though I have heard this so many times, it was really good to hear.

The Lord is molding me, and making me into what he wants to be. He will bring a long the "married life" when he finds it fit for me to be married. There is no need to rush God's plan, because I will miss out on the BLESSING that his the journey through his plan. :)

Yah for Jesus! I love you all so much, have a great day!

1 comment:

Dad said...

The older I get the more amazed at how so many people I come into contact with are looking for love. I realize that we all have a need to be loved. It is really a basic need that we all want to be met. The reason I am amazed at people is because the love they are looking for is supposed to come from someone else first. Prince Charming is expected to come riding in on a white stallion and swoop the damsel up. He then takes her to a cottage, complete with a white picket fence and flowers,in a land far far away. We believe that once that day comes we can start to live the fairy tale life.
The Disney movies did not make something clear although it is implied. Cinderella and Snow White were okay with who they were BEFORE Prince Charming came along.
It seems to me that the first thing anyone must do is to fall in love with themselves. I do not mean in an egotistical way. Why can't we love and appreciate the gifts and talents God gave us. We do not have to be public about it but having confidence in our abilities and knowing what we are capable of is part of loving ourselves. We also must appreciate those little things, most people refer to them as flaws, that God also gave us to make us unique and special. If we learn to love and appreciate those things just like we do our strengths then we start to become complete. When we love ourselves first then others opinions don't carry the weight that they do otherwise. Isn't it ironic that we make so many exceptions for the person we are in a relationship with. We recognize their faults but that does not prevent us from loving them. I guess we see more strengths than obstacles. How many people do you know that treat themselves with the same affection, courtesy and respect as they do with thier boyfriend or husband? Those that do I would bet are happy people.
In my professional life I come into contact with so many people that are chasing the dream of happiness but will not dare to start with themselves first.
I am so proud of you for being true to yourself and your feelings. I am proud of you for asking the tough questions of yourself and not be willing to go further with plans until you get some of those answers. In fact, I believe you have taken the first and toughest step toward having a life that is filled with happiness. Get aquainted with Ashie. You will find out what we already know, your a priceless "Gem". Dare to ask questions and discover your emotions. Know that we will be around to catch you if you stumble or fall. I love you.